A multidisciplinary team for response to child abuse allegations includes representation from the following:
- law enforcement
- child protective services
- mental health
- victim advocacy
- children’s advocacy center staff
Specialized pediatric medical evaluation and treatment services are available and coordinated with the multidisciplinary team response to provide follow-up referrals and/or treatment as necessary. Children benefit from the expertise of child abuse medical providers within a personalized, child-friendly environment
Victim support and advocacy are available throughout the investigation and prosecution of cases. Information regarding the rights of a crime victim and local services is routinely available to all families.
The Child Advocacy Center of Warren County is proud to offer the community Darkness to Light’s, Stewards of Children child sexual abuse curriculum. The 5 steps to protecting children is a revolutionary sexual abuse prevention training program that educates adults to prevent, recognize, and react responsibly to child sexual abuse and motivates them to courageous action. The Stewards of Children program is designed for organizations that serve children and youth, and any/all adults interested in protecting children.
The curriculum can be used by organizations and corporations who are seeking training for staff and volunteers in the prevention of child sexual abuse or any group of individuals wanting to make a difference in their community.
The program includes:
- An interactive workbook and a 5 Steps Guide for each participant containing the full program curriculum
- An accompanying 70 minute DVD integrating segments of sexual abuse survivors relating their stories of violation and healing, with segments from the author of the curriculum and from professionals who interface daily with the problem of sexual abuse
- Opportunity for discussion about important issues in sexual abuse prevention
After training, participants will:
- Understand the facts of child sexual abuse
- Understand how child sexual abuse happens
- Understand that adults are responsible for the protection of children
- Importance of screening staff/volunteers who work with children and adolescents
- Understand how to minimize one-on-one opportunities
- Have resources to act responsibly to child sexual abuse
- Understand the proactive role youth serving organizations need to take to protect children and educate the community
The Child Advocacy Center of Warren County is currently an Accredited Member of the National Children’s Alliance (NCA), an accrediting organization. NCA was formed in response to the growing number of children’s advocacy centers across the United States, and the demand for guidance, training and standards of practice. The NCA sets forth 10 basic standards by which the Child Advocacy Center of Warren County is organized. Through regional advocacy centers, the NCA provides support and guidance to developing and existing advocacy centers throughout the country. The Child Advocacy Center of Warren County is a member of the Midwest Regional Children’s Advocacy Center (MRCAC) located in Minneapolis, Minnesota.